Sunday, March 2, 2008

grocery girl

never again will i go to the grocery store on sunday night.
walmart in particular.
i've never seen a store more pillaged through.
they were completely out of three of my standard list items.
i mean, this is walmart we're talking about here.

if you think about it,
sunday night is not the ideal night to grocery shop...
i imagine some wild, savage scene
where bodies are flying left and right
and people are screaming
"I MUST GET FOOD FOR MY FAMILY!"
people racing carts through the aisles
to get the last bottle of sunny d,
or the last box of hamburger helper.

and of course with the threat of ice in the forecast
texans tend to freak out a little bit.
[similar to the y2k fiasco.]

this must have happened right before i walked in the store.
because my experience was bizarre, to say the least.
the checkout lady told me some people were fired that night.
after what i had seen, i would have been glad to go.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you wrote a post about Y2K...

Unknown said...

This scene is so visual. I, too, would have been glad to go... might of even walked before they gave me my papers if you know what I mean. Anyway... The funny part to me was people in Texas with ice in the forecast - I'm talking my whole life. The Monday it snowed, no kidding I asked my husband if he thought I would be okay to drive to church. He said, "yeah, no problem." It was a blizzard when I walked back out after my class. It was so funny.

That Thursday it snowed I was so grateful they put in a little drive thru market in up the street from our house. I mean for real, I pulled up to a sliding glass door beneath an awning and a lady comes out takes my order for groceries, goes inside fills my order and delivers it back to my car in minutes. She even offered to put together a nice little easy dinner for me to fix up for the evening if I would like it. It was so pleasant, and saved me from slipping in the slushy white stuff gathering on the ground. I didn't even get cold because I was - yes Grocery Shopping in my car.

Blessings.