Thursday, March 29, 2007

the golden age

last night i drove. and then i came back and sat in my car in front of my apartment for probably thirty minutes. i put in beck's album sea change, which is so nostalgic for me. it reminds me of four years ago exactly. finishing up high school, thinking i had the entire world before me. take that feeling and mutiply it by a million and that is how i currently feel. it is absolutely wonderful!

[now most people know i love beck dearly. he's one of my favorite artists. but hardly anyone knows that sea change is my favorite album of his. you probably wouldn't expect it because it's so different from all of his other projects. that's the thing about beck, he reinvents himself every album and comes up with something completely different, but there is still a common thread in all of them. sea change, though, is so radically different that it has become my favorite.]

summer 2003. all of those memories are brought back when i listen to that album. wasting money, going to shows, and spending practically every day at the dairy queen. isn't it funny how certain albums remind us of different periods in our lives? it's like the music defines it. badly drawn boy always reminds me of winter 2004, which was a very good winter indeed. the stills always remind me of summer 2004, and ryan adams always reminds me of the entire year of 2005. i really like it when that happens. and i really like remembering those times.

1 comment:

thispresentsojourn said...

similar albums for me:

the gloria record:start here
copeland:beneath medicine tree (!)
pete yorn:musicforthemorningafter
rufus wainwright:poses
sondre lerche:faces down